Friday, June 20, 2014

Singing in the park/ I actually live in africa


So this week was pretty cool!

Where to start...

Okay so remember those Africans? Well we went over again with Alin to teach them and it went pretty well! We watched the restoration movie and discussed it. We even got two soft baptism commitments. Which isn't really anything but it means that we brought up baptism and they know where we ideally want it to go.
 
Then church yesterday was really good. There were some really well done talks. The BP kind of layed down the hammer about home teaching and it was kind of awesome. He got this super cool looking face, kind of like a face of righteous indignation, and told people how important home teaching was and that if they weren't home teaching, they need to repent and do home teaching.

Then  there were two talks that were really well prepared by some YSA members, one of whom is a recent convert of about 7 months. The other one was  23 year old member who is, in his own words, cel mai smecher, which means like the biggest punk ever. But he got kind of emotional in his talk, talking about family. He mentioned how he would do anything for his younger brother who is on a mission right now in Germany, although they fought a lot when they were younger. He got really choked up when he said, "It doesn't matter if you have a brother who, for 20 years or more speaks nothing but bad things about  you. Because when he needs you, you'll be there to help him. Because he's your brother."

He went on to say how much he loved him. This clearly made me think of my brothers and family in general, and I know that if my brothers ever need my help I will be there if I can. Family is the strongest bond in the world and beyond. I'm so grateful that I have my amazing family. An older brother and two younger brothers who are both great examples to me. I look up to each of you in different ways. And to have such amazing parents, grandparents, and extended family members is a priceless blessing for which I am so thankful.

This week I also listened to one of the best talks in the world: "His Grace Is Sufficient." If anybody hasn't listened to it, go listen to it.
 
 
Even if you have, listen to it again. I know I always get the thought that I'm too imperfect to ever reach perfection. The thought crosses my mind frequently, "If I can't do these little things, how can I do the big things that I'll need to do to gain exaltation?" That talk explains grace so well, and has helped me on multiple occasions to understand how things actually work, and that although we will ALL fall short in the short run, in the long run we can make it. I especially want my brothers to hear it :) All this talk about brothers makes me think of them and I know that this talk can and will help each of them.
 
Anyway, more about me.  Yesterday we went out chalk contacting in the park, and I brought my guitar to bring in some atmosphere and attention. It was such a great night! We got quite a few people to come up and talk to us and it was so much fun. Something about it just made me feel so much more normal and comfortable with talking to everyone. It just like made me feel like I was in my right zone, playing the guitar and singing and talking with people. Someone even tried to tip me though I obviously refused.

We didn't get anything solid from it but there was a really cool young 13 year old boy who talked with us for quite a while and I'm sure we made an impression on him. He's actually apparently studying to be an orthodox priest, but he was still super open minded and wanted to talk, so it was super cool. It's been a long time since I've done either of those, chalk contacting or music contacting, and both just made me feel so much better at talking with people. We plan on doing it again next week.
 
So yeah that's about it!
 
Hope everybody's doing great!
 
Love you!
-Elder DeGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment