Monday, July 22, 2013

Ce a facut, mă?? 1 transfer deja? (What the heck?? First transfer already??!)

Greetings from the cheap bread capital of the world! (seriously we get like super good quality European style bread for the equivalent of about $0.30 US. Anyway.

We just found out transfer results! I'm staying here in sector 1! But Elder R is off to the city of Orhei, Moldova! So I'm going to get a new companion here. His name is Elder E, and he'll be coming straight from America because he had to go get some surgery done. Had he not gone home though, he's still one of the "older" missionaries.

Cool week! Iancu got the priesthood on Sunday, so he'll probably be passing the sacrament next Sunday. He's really excited. The awesome thing about him is that he just loves the gospel so much. His testimony is getting stronger every day. We gave him one of those picture-Book of Mormons, you know where it has the Book of Mormon laid out like a comic strip kind of with pictures and simple captions. He loved it, and he's shared it with his siblings and his parents, who can't read.

Iancu sat in on a little mini "lesson" we had with a member who has some small mental issues. Basically the equivalent of a savant. He's really smart, but has some autistic-type tendencies. Anyway, he's very active, and missionaries will have lessons with him occasionally and he's always interested and loves to learn. In our lesson with him, out of nowhere Iancu just turned into one of us. He was asking him gospel questions, being his same old normal self but also acting really missionary-like. Me and Elder R got him a shirt and tie, and when he was trying it on he grabbed my tag and put it on and he looked just like a missionary. Don't worry I got a picture:).

Oh mom, you'll be so proud of me. I played the piano for the church service last week. Kind of. I used the thing where you just push any key and it plays the song. But still! Oh and yesterday we sang in church, and I had a solo! So that was cool. And later in the day, we went to Sora Gorzo's:) She's a member in the other Bucharest branch who always has missionaries over at her house and feeds them/us. She makes really good food, and we sang some hymns, talked about cool things, it was a blast.

Haha so I got a bit of an ego boost the other day, we were in a contact and a lady told me I spoke better Romanian than my companion! He was just talking really fast, whereas I talk more normal, so that's probably all she meant. But it made me feel cool.  I've made it a transfer, seen the fruits of missionary success, and am excited to see more. I've improved my language ability to the point where, weirdly enough as it is to say, I am basically functionally fluent. Meaning I understand about 90% of what is said, and I can respond pretty well about 75-80% of the time. That should not be possible. The gift of tongues is real, guys. Super excited for next transfer, and more to come, I'm going to do my best to be the best missionary I can be. I love all a y'all, my prayers are with you.


Elder DeGraw

"Elder" Iancu

Orthodox church - either being built or remodeled

Iancu's family

Transfers - Elder S., Me, and Elder R.

Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment