Monday, September 2, 2013

Two Down!

Welcome to Romania, the place where people always carry flowers upside-down for some reason.
 
So last week I realized that Romania is really cool in this one specific way: if you want something, you can find it literally just about anywhere. For example, say you're out of bread, you want some new shoes, and have a hankering for a shaorma. You can literally hop on a random bus, get off on any random stop, walk five minutes in any direction, and find all of that, plus get the latest newspaper, stop into a bakery and grab some fresh made swiss roles, grab a watermelon, whatever you need or want is ridiculously cheaply available EVERYWHERE.
 
Another cool thing I discovered last week is the piatas (pronounced piatsaz). This word can actually mean several things, but in this case it means marketplace. As in a huge, gigantic, fresh, all natural, superidiculously cheap super tasty fresh fruits and vegetables. We got 10 corn cobs for 5 lei (about $1.50), I got a kilogram of cucumbers for 1 leu (about $0.30), some small super tasty watermelons, some prunes (surprisingly very tasty -- I've never really had them before), and a whole bunch of other stuff. I love Romania :)
 
I'm pretty much done with my second transfer, and will be a trainee no more! We just found out transfer boards! My step dad is leaving me!.. Kinda! Haha he's staying in Buch but opening that northern group I was talking about earlier. I'm staying where I'm at, and getting a new companion named Elder G. He's... (wait for it)... ANATIVEWHOSPEAKSNOENGLISH!! Haha i'm actually super excited! I've met him before, briefly, and from what I've seen and heard he's a really cool guy. 
 
Haha I did say at mission reports that I wanted to learn the language. And what better way to learn than being with someone who only speaks that language?! Haha it'll be 24/7 SYL (speak your language, MTC thing) which I've actually been wanting to do a lot more of. I learn best from experience, and I'm hoping to make the most out of this situation and be fluent by the end of this next transfer! I've got the grammar pretty much down, now it's just a matter of a lot of vocabulary, which a native speaker will be an amazing help with. I'm super excited for next transfer!
 
So both of our investigators have been pretty busy, so we haven't really been able to meet up for a while, but as far as I know both are still going well!
 
Anyway that's about all I've got for today! You all are in my prayers. And remember, with faith in God, anything is possible. When I have something that I have to do, and I know that I have to do it, even when it's hard, I pray to God for strength. I do my best, put a smile on my face, and somehow everything works out, even if not in the way that I'd planned.
 
Va Iubim pe voi toti!!!
 
Laters.
 
-Elder DeGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment