Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Thanksgiving week was really weird!

Hey people!

So Thanksgiving week was really interesting haha. We brought the sisters from the gara on Wednesday, and showed them all about Craiova, and we've been showing them the city, and all that jazz. And the sisters are freaking awesome! As I said, Sora R was in our MTC group, and she's hilarious! And Sora S is super awesome too! She's two groups below us, and she speaks Romanian really well!

So Thanksgiving!

Well, Thanksgiving was the day after transfers, so things were still a little crazy. But so we were planning on going to the church and having a sort of feast, and watching our Thanksgiving movie. But when the sisters went home after we were showing them around a little bit, they were locked out of their apartment. My old apartment, where this had actually happened to me and Elder H once last trasfer. But so we called the Proprietar like we did last time, but he was out of town! So we called a whole bunch of people to see about getting a locksmith or something, but we couldn't find anyone. So then we just went back and I tried to open it, like I had a lot before, but I put a random key (that still wasn't the fitting key) into the lock, and forced it to open, and got the sisters into their apartment! We were so happy.

So then we finally went to the church, but we were still pretty full from lunch, so Sora S just made some brownies for us. Haha every time I've seen brownies made out here with American brownie mix they've gotten burned! But just barely every time! It's so weird.

But there were also a whole bunch of "just really?" moments on thanksgiving. Like us sitting in the stairwell for like an hour waiting for the Proprietar to call us back. But then we just ate brownies and watched "The Pirates" and relaxed and it was awesome.

And then the next day was Sora S's birthday, so they were going to make a cake. Now keep in mind that this was my old apartment, and we had never had anything like this happen. But so how we had always lighted the oven was to turn the gas on low, and stick the safety lighter down there and turn it on. It was out of fuel so it was just a spark, but it would always catch and be fine. So this is what we directed the sisters to do. But it wasn't working. So they just kept trying, and trying, and then..... BOOM!!! There was a huge fireball that exploded in their faces.

It apparently knocked them both backwards, singed off some of Sora R's arm hair, and burned the curtain a little bit. But let me just stress that they both are completely fine. It was scary but they were laughing about it soon after. But we got kind of chastened by the "Mission Mom" Sora H and so they will definitely just be getting a new lighter and not use a sparker anymore!

But neither of them were hurt so we've learned the lesson.

Other than those fiascos, the week's gone great! With Elder M, we balance each other out really well. He has an easier time talking to people in contacting/social situations a lot, but I speak the language a little better. Other than that, we're equal in pretty much everything. He's the district leader, but even then we still both kind of deal with stuff here.

And he's a great DL, too. Our district meeting last week was awesome, really pumped us all up. And yesterday at church, since I'm supposedly the best at the language in the district (weird), I translated for the Spooners for the Romanians in church... And I shocked myself at how smoothly and fast I could translate their testimonies! I only had to pause to think like once or twice! I translated one time in my third transfer and I did pretty well, but this time I felt like I actually knew Romanian! Haha Then in Sunday school I didn't do as well, but it was still really cool!

We're all like normal missionaries now! Haha I don't really feel like a newbie anymore! It's really weird. But also really cool.

Well this is getting kind of long, so I'll say Mom and Dad, have an awesome time in Hawaii!! You guys deserve it! Love you all! Also can someone send me Nick's email? I don't know if he uses the one I have. I love you all and have an awesome week!!!

Love,
-Elder DeGraw




Waiting for the LandLord to unlock the Sora's apartment




Yup, It's been snowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment