Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Same old stuff is happening. But a heroic story of long ago!


Hello all! So yeah not too much has been happening!

This last week was the week of transfers, but me and Elder C didn't go down because we're just staying together, and we didn't have English classes to break things up, so this week was a lot of English contacting! Although this week we did get 2 new potential investigators! Our best week so far in that regard! Wow just saying that makes me realize how slow the work goes here... but yeah. We were happy!

Other than that, just had district meeting and watched a little bit of conference! It was kind of sad... the branch had planned an activity to watch conference at the church villa, but nobody but the branch president, one of his counselors, and maybe one other person, so they decided to just cancel it and all went home. So then it was just us missionaries watching it. Basically the same thing happened on Sunday, although that time it was supposedly because they couldn't watch it live in Romanian, even though Elder P (ZL) had found out how to do it, the branch president told him that it wasn't possible.

So the branch met at 5 pm, to have a testimony meeting and watch conference, and then didn't even watch it. But either way, I really liked conferece! I always do haha. I feel like though that especially as a missionary it's just a great occasion! This is my second one out here and both times it's kind of felt like the missionary superbowl haha! We all get to gather together, meeting in the church with some snacks, and listen to modern day prophets! And as always, I got some answered prayers, some motivation, some guidance. I hope each and every one of you watched it!
 
So yeah that's basically it! Althought I have a story from a couple weeks ago that I just remembered about! We saved a kid from getting beat up! This happened about midway through last transfer, and I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned it yet. If I have I'm sorry. 
 
We were walking to the church for something, when this lady yells out to us to walk with this kid to the end of the street. Being the nice mormon boys we are we gladly offered to, though without fully knowing why. Talking with him (he's about 10, I believe) we find out the situation, which is that some kids were trying to beat him up because they thought he did something which he didn't do.

He was close to his house, but he was scared, and rightfully so. We walked with him for a while, and the kids emerge from behind a car and try to charge at the kid, giving their BS excuses for trying to beat the crap out of him. Me and Elder C stood in between them, and I calmy but firmly adressed these little punks and asked what they were doing, to which they replied the exact same thing that the kid told us was happening. I told them that as long as I was there, they weren't going to touch him, but they persisted. For some reason, our boy tried to start to get away, so he was no longer behind us, and the kids ran over to him, knocked him down, and started kicking him. I ran over there and threw the kids off of him, gave them a stern talking to, and took our kid and left. Don't worry, they didn't hurt him too bad, but they were brave/stupid enough to go after him when 2 clearly more capable, larger than them Americans were there to protect him.

As we were walking away the kid kept looking back and saying "they're following us!" to which I reassured him that we wouldn't let anything happen to him. "So you'll hit them?:)" he said, to which I replied that I would not, but I would make sure they didn't touch him.

So yeah. After that everything was cool. He went to his house, the bullies went the other way, and he was okay. We've seen him a couple times since then. He's such a cool kid. I hope he'll check out the church someday. I felt weird inviting him to do anything because he's a kid, but I did give him an english card and I'm sure he'll remember that event for a long time. I finally felt like I was doing something haha! But yeah. Cool story for ya.
 
Okay so you remember how I left my charger in Craiova? I finally got it back! So my camera has been working. I took a few pictures, I was so happy. Then one day I turn it on to take a picture, and the lense won't show any images. The screen works just fine, I can go back and look through all the pictures that are there already, but it won't let me take any new pictures. So long story short I'm probably going to need a new camera....... They're pretty relatively cheap, but I'm still freaking ticked. Just when I finally get to use my camera again!! Oh well. I'll just have to continue using other peoples' cameras for things...
 
Also I haven't gotten a new cheap suit yet, for the main reason that nowhere that has good cheap suits has my size! I didn't think I got that small yet, but I can't find it anywhere. Or I can in a suit that I don't want to buy. But I'm still on the lookout. I may not even find one. If I don't find a good one within a reasonable amount of time, I'll probably just hold off for only the really good suit towards the end. But we'll see.
 
So that's pretty much everything! I got pictures from last transfer so I can finally send some! I'm sure the blog's been looking pretty bland lately without pictures haha.
 
Anyway, love you all, have a great week, and remember that you're all in my prayers!
 
-Elder DeGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment