Thursday, November 20, 2014

Zone Conference, churros, and 5 months left


So this week was eclipsed by Zone Conference and MLC!

We had two days of conferences and at both there was a seventy there, a member of the area presidency, Elder K. He gave a talk in conference this one time a few years back, the one about wearing actual shoes and not flip flops, and got stung by a scorpion. Yeah that guy. He was awesome. You should watch his talk.

I loved his accent because it made everything he said sound cooler. I got a lot out of those meetings, even though they were really long. One of my favorite things was a story that illustrated a wonderful point that I've thought of before but just the way it was presented was so wonderful and memorable.

President I talked about one of his close friends who, for his son's birthday, took him to Disneyland. Basically, this guy spoiled his kid rotten. He got the fastest of fast passes, got him whatever he wanted, held nothing back, just wanted to give his kid the best birthday possible.

At one point later in the day, they wanted to get a snack, so they went and got the kid a churro. The kid was eating the churro and at one point the dad asked if he could have a bite. The kid freaked out, saying how it was his churro and that if his dad wanted one he should get one for himself.

What I got from this was that a) if I was his dad, we'd be out of there immediately and no more fun things for the kid for a while, and b) this is an amazing example of life. God gave us literally everything, took us to Disneyland, gave us the gold fast pass, gave it all to us. The least we can do is give him a bite of the churro.

For most people back home this could easily be related to tithing, service, or a bunch of stuff, but for me it hit me that giving him a bite of the churro is devoting my time for these two years. The mission really is a tithe of the first 20 years of my life. The question is will it be a full tithe? I will do all I can to make it be so by the end of my mission.


Another great quote from the conference was when Elder K was talking about the progress that we've made as a mission recently, and he said how happy we should be, that we've done really good lately, then he said "And you should be happy. But for goodness' sake, do NOT be satisfied!" Then he went on to just really encourage us to continue to make progress and keep it going.


Then we came back to Ploiesti and we're now trying to put into practice the things we learned at Zone Conference and MLC!


So those were the highlights of the week! Love you all!


Have a great week!

 

-Elder DeGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment